Saturday, January 15, 2011

Segovia!

Hola!

Yesterday we went as an NYU group to Segovia! It is a really quick bus ride, only about an hour. It is situated in the mountains so the drive was very, very pretty. There were all sorts of insanely quaint, "is this stuff real?" little towns and crosses on mountainsides.

We arrived and separated into groups. I had the great fortune of having this fabulous, older, "blonde", sassy  Spanish woman who it turns out will be my teacher for my Prado museum class!

We toured the castle, Alcazar:




Which was one of the inspiration castles for the Disney Cinderella one. The inside was cool: 


We went into the room where Isabella and Ferdinand gave Christopher Colombus the "go ahead" to go to the New World!

Then we went to the cathedral: 



And to me the coolest part was the Roman aquaduct, that has been providing Segovia's water (it literally still pumps the water to the whole city) for 2010 years. Two thousand and ten years. It is gorgeous and old and insanely well made, duh. They didn't use cement or mortar, but precisely cut rocks and key stones. 




And then we had lunch, my Sra packed me a sandwich (adorable), and I bought one of the traditional Segovian desserts, "Ponche": 


It is basically different consistencies of sugar stacked on top of each other. Insanely, crazily, unfortunately sweet! 

This is the Plaza Mayor, the downtown, of Segovia: 


And here is one of the gorgeous views:


5 comments:

  1. Wow!@ I don't know what else to say. How beautiful. I couldn't help but notice your feet. What shoes are you wearing? Who is in the picture with you? Are you allowed to bring sweets back for your mother when you return? Is the person with you one of your roommates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mom: What do you mean what are on my feet? I think I wore those black boots! And that is one of my friends here, Emily! I will have to see about smuggling sweet treats to the US. That one was way, way too sweet though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't tell what you shoes you were wearing! OK...we'll check into the pastry thing for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, you guys are so cute!! i think i follow your mom's comments as much as i follow the blog itself. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Sarah! Yes, it's the only chance I get to "talk" to her. I love the blog!

    ReplyDelete