Thursday, January 13, 2011

Typical Spanish Things I have Eaten Thus Far

Hello! I like food, and the stuff here is wild. Thus far I have witnessed cured meat sawed off of a pig leg (situated right next to my head, and put onto my plate), street vendors selling roasted chestnuts and corn all over the place, and tons of fried-stuffed-things that I have promptly consumed.

Here are some of them (not my pictures, but I got the closest looking things on google)

Croquetas: Fritters stuffed with some kind of bizarre and magnificent cheese that is melty like mozarella, but has a stronger flavor like goat cheese, but sweeter. When we asked our Sra what kind of cheese it was she just kept saying "Queso".

In the photo the croquetas have ham in them too


Tortilla EspaƱola: A heavy omelette/casserole type dish filled with potatoes (patatas) and onions, mixed/cooked in/with eggs


Pig Leg = Jamon: literally ham shaved off of a pig's leg. Right in front of you. Hoof and all.



The plate on the left is our Jamon. The toast on the right is a tapa with cheese and jamon. All of these things are free when you have a glass of wine! (this is actually a picture I took)



Paella: Actually not traditionally served in Madrid, but more of a Spain tourist trap. Still very good

1 comment:

  1. Is that the Iberian Ham that costs a fortune? Or is ham just a usual thing and the Iberian ham is something else? Anyway, it looks fantastic...little hoof and all!

    And the egg/potato souffle thing looks marvelous. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete